This section includes descriptions and links to recommended picture books that make excellent feature books in different themes or are special favorites that can extend and enrich the study of a particular subject.
Featured Book Activity
Gaston Goes to Mardi Gras
written and illustrated by James Rice
- From construction paper cut out a piece to mask your eyes You may also want to cut out a separate hat or crown piece.
- Glue the mask part to the crown part.
- Have someone carefully mark the eyeholes while you hold the mask in position on your face. Cut out the eyes to fit.
- Decorate with paint, markers, crayons, sequins, glitter, and/or feathers
- Staple, tape or glue an elastic strip that fits around the head to both sides of the mask or use a flat piece of heavy cardboard taped or glued to one side of the mask as a holder.
Make a connection
written by Lydia Maria Child, illustrated by David Catrow
written by Lydia Maria Child, illustrated by Christopher Manson
Over the River . . .
Each of these books has the same text as written by Lydia Maria Child. The Manson illustrations show the traditional meaning of the song in dramatic woodcuts while the Catrow version is modern and manic. There are several other picture book presentations of this same song and an exploration of the variety of arrangements can be an excellent writing prompt or catalyst for a seasonal art activity.